Telepsychiatry is a cost-effective way to deliver mental health care services remotely to patients via interactive video sessions. It dispenses a range of services including psychiatric evaluations, therapy (individual therapy, group therapy, and family therapy), patient education and medication management through the use of computer or smart phones,from the privacy and comfort of one’s own home to address common behavioral health issues.
Psychiatrists are physicians with an MBBS and an MD in Psychiatry. They are legally allowed to prescribe medications for the treatment of diagnosed mental disorders along with the ability to do psychotherapy. Psychologists are medical professionals who have a Master’s degree in Psychology. They treat patients with different forms and techniques of psychotherapy, commonly known as talk therapy.
There are a few common reasons people go online to see a psychiatrist:
• You need one or more psychiatric medications
• You have been diagnosed with one or more mental disorders
• You feel that you are not getting better under the care of a general practitioner
• You are experiencing complex side-effects to your current medications and would like a second opinion
• You want to change your psychiatric medication
• You have questions about your doctor’s treatment plan
From chronic concerns such as depression, mood disorders, and anxiety, to recent stress caused by events such as grief, divorce, parenthood, or other major life changes, online psychiatry allows for reliable and convenient connect with highly trained physicians.
Some of the other common conditions that can be addressed online are:
An online psychiatry session is essentially the same as an office visit but more convenient since patients are seen from the location of their choosing, eliminating the need for travel. Prior to the visit you can provide past history of treatment, medicines taken, and a brief status of present issues.